With Labor Day fast-approaching, I have a bittersweet feeling toward the holiday weekend. On one hand, it’s a chance to see family and friends, BBQ, and of course, it’s a day off from work; but on the other hand, it’s the last official weekend of summer. While I still try and wrap my head around where the summer even went, I decided to go exploring for some tasty recipes for this weekend’s festivities to serve as a nice distraction!
Below is a combination of healthy sides to compliment your grilled dishes, but there’s an added bonus – included are some of CRBG employees’ favorite recipes, which we encourage you to try!
- Seven-Layer Salad – This layered salad is a crowd favorite at one employee’s summer BBQ’s! This dish is one you can mix-n-match to your preference, but most commonly it includes fresh vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peas, and peppers, as well as hard broiled eggs. Top it off with a little cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits for extra flavor!
- Watermelon Fruit Bowl – This colorful blend of fruits-in-a-fruit is one employee’s quick-and-easy treat at any family BBQ! Feel free to get creative with your watermelon’s design—check out some examples on our Pinterest page for inspiration!
- Pasta Salad – While everyone has their favorite pasta salad they carry to every summer get-together, here’s a new one worth trying. It’s less than 300 calories per serving!
- Classic Deviled Eggs – While I’ve never tried Deviled Eggs, they usually turn up at almost every outdoor shindig I attend… this leads me to believe they are a popular dish. So, if you’re looking for an easy starter dish to make this weekend, many of my fellow co-workers say these are the way to go!
- Fresh Corn and Zucchini Sauté – As a vegetarian I am always looking for new dishes to try… although my friends and family would probably argue that I’m a VERY picky eater. Anyway, this bright green and yellow dish caught my eye and would be a great compliment to any outdoor BBQ! For more ideas, check out Allrecipes’ Labor Day side dishes!
Last but certainly not least, dessert. My mom told me when I was younger, “you’ll never forget that dessert has two ‘S’, because everyone always wants seconds!” It’s true—if it were up to me, I’d start every meal with dessert… and since I couldn’t narrow down the list, I’ve decided to share this link, which includes a great selection of sweet treats to choose from!
So, no matter what dish you decide to make, enjoy this last bit of summer! From everyone at Compass Rose Benefits Group, we wish you and your family a happy and safe Labor Day Weekend! Enjoy good food and company—don’t forget to share your favorite dishes with us on any of our social media channels!