Guest blogger: Karen R.. Compliance, Quality and Clinical Program Specialist
What is prenatal care?
The purpose of prenatal care is to obtain clinical treatment, education and training to foster a healthy pregnancy, labor and delivery for both mother and baby.
How Often Should I See My Doctor?
Upon learning you are pregnant, it is important—for you and your baby—that you schedule regular visits with your OB-GYN right away. To find a network provider, Compass Rose Health Plan members can visit www.compassrosebenefits.com/UHC. It is recommended that your initial visit occur within the first 3 months of pregnancy. Unless you are at a high risk due to your age or other health factors, your doctor will most likely recommend the following sample schedule:
- 0-6 Months – Once each month
- 7-8 Months – Every two (2) weeks
- 9 Month to Delivery – Once each week
What Happens During My Prenatal Visits?
Generally, your visits with your OB-GYN will consist of:
- Monitoring your weight gain and blood pressure as well as the heart rate, growth and development of the baby
- Running routine blood tests to monitor glucose levels for the possibility of gestational diabetes. Other blood tests may include: typing and screening for diseases or other possible issues that could present potential threats to you or your baby’s health
- Discussions that include classes for natural childbirth and advice on nutrition and exercise
- In the final stages of pregnancy, measuring the position of the baby in preparation for birth
Lifestyle Do’s and Don’ts
In order to strive for and maintain a healthy pregnancy, it is important that you develop and practice healthy lifestyle habits. In addition, you should also be aware of behaviors and factors that can harm you and your baby. Below are some Do’s and Don’ts you should consider:
- Make sure your doctor is the right one for you
- Visit your doctor during your first trimester and sign-up online* for our Prenatal Care Program to receive a FREE eBook and mobile app
- Learn what the best option is for communication between you and your doctor
- Maintain a well-balanced diet
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated
- Take prenatal vitamins as instructed by your doctor
- Get plenty of rest
- Follow your doctor’s recommended exercise plan
- Skip doctor visits
- Miss meals
- Eat foods high in fat, sugar and sodium
- Drink alcohol
- Be afraid to ask your doctor questions
*Learn more about our prenatal eBook and mobile app by visiting: https://www.compassrosebenefits.com/Prenatal